Sunday, January 16, 2011

spaghetti and wheatballs

yes, you read that right...and no spell check didn't auto-correct the title...this week we had spaghetti and WHEATballs for dinner...and as odd as they sound they were actually really really good, easy to make and super healthy.  We rarely have spaghetti and meatballs only bc I'm not a huge fan of faux-meat products in general, their taste, or their texture, or the fact that some have an ingredient list that is a little too long for my liking.  So when I saw this recipe on a one of the blogs I regularly stalk check I added it to my "recipes to try" list, and I'm very happy I did.   So next time you say...."hmmm....I would really go for a nice big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs" think to yourself next..."wait...andrea posted that recipe for wheatballs, let me try them instead!










Ingredients
1 1/2 cups cooked or 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup chopped white button mushrooms
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for cooking
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

spaghetti
sauce 

(I bought the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast and oat bran from Whole Foods bulk bins in case you are thinking to yourself "where can you buy that????")

Directions

-Combine the chickpeas, mushrooms, garlic, and parsley in a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. 
-Dump pulsed mixture into a large bowl.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
-Heat about 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. 
-Roll about 2 tbsp of the chickpea-mushroom mixture in your hands to make a (wheat)ball and place in the skillet. 
-Repeat with the rest of the mixture, and cook, shaking the pan to roll the (wheat)balls around until browned on all sides.
-Toss with a little marinara and serve over cooked pasta.


enjoy!
xoxoxo
Andrea


No comments:

Post a Comment