Friday, January 7, 2011

mommy's loosing her mind-chocolate brownies

this week has been *a* week...and by *a* I do not mean "good" like an A+....no...not at all... It involved man-sick..which if you have experienced "man-sick" you know how rough this is... on everyone besides the man involved... a son spurting blood like a fountain, a husband passing out literally on me.. ER visits, stitches, kids being home from school for two days (after a full week of being home for winter break) a car that isn't necessarily drive-able...


Today, day 2 of kids being home...at about 1pm I was about to loose the very last little shred of what I consider to be my "mind"...so I figured..."lets make BROWNIES!!!"  bc really...when do brownies not make everything better?  

So here is my go-to recipe for chocolate brownies...they are really really really good...good enough to (almost) make the blood, and dry-heaving, and passing out husbands and not so nice polish ER drs, and being trapped in my house w/ no car and a mind that is slowly fading smaller and smaller.... go away.

Ingredients 
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.
2. In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook  .


Let me stress the last three lines of this recipe...they are probably the most important three words out of ALL the words in the entire recipe...I bake for about 20min...I like them nice and gooey....YUM!

The recipe my version is based on also calls for frosting..which I think is over-kill and have never made.   However, by all means add the frosting if it's a "frosting on brownies" kind of day.  I promise you- these brownies alone do not need it.  A scoop if ice cream on top? sure...the frosting, eh not so much.

source- Best Brownies- Allrecipes.com

Enjoy!

xoxo
andrea 







2 comments:

  1. You can count me in as a follower too! Yum... I will def try this recipe. Chocolate is the perfect remedy for chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is the BEST! Girl, this is the exact recipe I have been using for brownies for 6+ years now (just checked the date on my printed copy in my recipe binder!). The frosting is extra, but sometimes you just need it ;-) And, it's great cause you can ice them while they are hot... no need to wait for them to cool!

    ReplyDelete