Saturday, February 5, 2011

Super Yummy VEGAN oatmeal cookies

I have to admit, I was skeptical about wasting my ingredients on this recipe but thought it was worth a shot, and I sure was surprised at how yummy these are! I found the recipe from Alicia Silverstone's KIND DIET cookbook. I tweaked the ingredients a bit to make use of what was in my pantry. Believe me, you will not miss the butter or eggs in these!

RECIPE:

1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats 1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup white-whole wheat flour 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons date sugar 1/2 teaspoon molasses
2 teaspoons baking powder 1/4 cup dried plums(prunes)or any dried fruit
1 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 cup chopped walnuts(optional) i did not use
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/3 cup maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine syrup, oil, vanilla, and molasses. mix wet and dry ingredients and fold in dried fruit/and or nuts.
roll tablespoon size scoops of dough into balls and place on sheet. press down to flatten the tops . bake for 10 minutes and transfer to baking rack to cool. cookies will be soft so be careful when transfering. they will firm up once they are cooled. recipe makes about 12 to 15 depending on the size of the balls.
they don't last long in my house - I have made them twice this week already! try them on someone and don't tell they are vegan- I don't think anyone will notice!

No comments:

Post a Comment